5.29.2008

My issues with people and their food buying habits.

There was on article on the front page of the Seattle Times yesterday that talked about ways to save money on your grocery bill. I wanted to link to it and rip it to shreds but now I can't seem to find it. I fail at internets?

Any way, one of the things they suggested was stop buying ready made cookie dough. Also, eat breakfast for a dinner meal one night a week. Put a lazy susan in your cupboard. Jesus christ, this shit was on the front page of the paper!? No news? Slow Tuesday? Um, I could think of lots of things they didn't use that would help you save money on food.

The number one way to save money on food is: Eat serving sizes. Don't be a piglet.

And since I work in the grocery/natural food industry I can speak on this one... Buy food. Don't buy shit from the deli. Don't buy frozen meals. We buy big staples ar Costco and Trader Joe's. We make 95% of our food from scratch. I buy stuff in bulk. I eat salad at least one meal, 5 times a week, and I take it with me. Buy what you need, not what you might later use or eat. Convenience is really nice, but puts a huge dent in funds. Seriously, if you buy a pound of mashed potatoes from the deli for $7, you don't really have the right to tell me how expensive food is.

And, magazines. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE MAGAZINES. But, at $5 a pop for the ones I like, I've scaled back. $10 for 2? Shit, you could have bought 3 pounds of celery!

And for the love of god, are you wackos still spending $5 on fluffy lattes with soy milk and syrup and extra decaf shots? 5 times a week? I splurge once a week and buy a coffee, it's also under $4. But I make a lot of plain black coffee at home and drink plain black coffee at work. And if you are like my mom and don't like the taste of coffee, why are you spending money on Frappuccinos?

I really hope that more people will figure this all our and get back to basics. I suppose this is all a huge deal to me because I hear about it so often and I'm so trying to figure out how to manage my money better so I can buy a house. I'm also watching what and how I eat so I can lose weight for all sorts of various health reasons and money saving options.

I'd rather spend $13 on my massage co-pay than pay $13 or some gourmet macaroni and cheese from Beechers.

The end.

No comments: